As Development Manager at Anchor Trust, Joe Bvumburai project managed this scheme as the first Extra Care Housing development in Hull.
The scheme was being development at a time when Extra Care Housing was relatively new. Designed by Acanthus WSM Architects, the concept was a simple traditional design replacing an out of date Elderly Persons Home (EPH) on the same site.
The scheme comprises 40 x 1 & 2 bedroom apartments and a selection of communal facilities including a restaurant, hair and nail salon, library and assisted bathing. Some facilities are open to the community and some residents don’t like this ‘intrusion’.
The scheme attracted serious concerns at the time of development because opposite was a notorious night pup/night club which attracted anti social behaviour.
However this was shut down soon after the scheme was built and a supermarket came in its place to the relief of all concerned.
Joe Bvumburai worked closely with Hull City Council Social Services to ensure the existing residents, relatives and surrounding neighbours were well consulted throughout the Development Process.
The land seamlessly transferred from Hull City Council to Anchor Trust as part of the Council’s enabling role.
Partnerships with a local pharmacy and other business were forged to help the Extra Care tenants embed themselves in the community quickly.
There were some serious concerns on demand but on completion the scheme had a qualifying waiting list of over 300 older people!
One tenant was extremely pleased and felt luck to have transferred from an Anchor scheme in Manchester to her roots back in Hull.
Role played by Joe Bvumburai
- Seminars to explain Extra Care Housing to Hull City Council (HCC) Social Services and ward members
- Involved in continuous discussions with the Homes and Community Agency on programming and funding.
- Oversaw the detailed design process and consultations with planners and other HCC departments
- Assisted in consultation with HCC Social Services, residents and relatives on demolition of the EPH
- Dealt with land purchase from Hull City Council to Anchor Trust
- Assisted with selection of consultants & Building Contractors for the Tendering Process
- Financial modelling and service charge calculations
Owner: Anchor Trust
Architect: Acanthus WSM
Employers Agent: F + G
Land and Care Provision: Hull City
Council Social Services
M and E Services: BES