Yorkshire’s only dedicated Nerf centre is now open in Hull. The project involves the conversion of a mobility scooter warehouse on Stockholm Road, Hull and provides more than 7,000 sq ft of space.
Kris and Donna Guy and Dan and Jo Tills first joined forces to find somewhere for their children to play outside.
Their plans for the Nerf centre began after a broadcast on BBC Radio Humberside alerted them to a Saturday morning business start-up surgeries at 360 chartered accountants in Hull.
Sean Maloney of 360 said the Hull Blast directors followed up their enthusiasm with a comprehensive response to his request for more research while he activated his business network to provide advice from Eznat and funding from the Chamber Acorn Fund (Humber) Limited and Finance for Enterprise, part of the Northern Powerhouse Investment Fund.
Eznat helped the owners to overcome obstacles around change of use and compliance with regulations to accommodate the larger volumes of people – from three or four at the previous storage facility to 80 or more for Hull Blast.
Benson Planning Studio also did a great deal to help us through the second planning application, gathering supporting evidence for the change of use.
Role played by Joe Bvumburai
- Getting consent was not easy. The mood was favourable but the idea did not fit with the Local Plan so the application was initially refused. We re-applied and highlighted the empty space in the area and some precedents for change of use to leisure.
- We also demonstrated the importance of the centre in terms of promoting physical activity among young people and we emphasised the potential of Hull Blast to attract people to the area.
- Guided Hull Blast through the statutory maze of Planning Permission and Building Control.
- Applied for Change of Use from Industrial to Leisure
- Applied for planning of new external signage and Building Regulations all of which are approved.
This is a good example of how Eznat Architects use skills and expertise to help people deliver development projects. We are currently working on a number of other projects in Hull and further afield, particularly residential and commercial developments.