Deansfield Court was one of those schemes that too a long time to come to fruition.
Working with North Yorkshire County Council (NYCC) Social Services and Ryedale District Council (RDC), several options were considered.
After several years of little progress and no suitable site, Yorkshire Housing offered a radical solution to demolish an existing under used community centre and some of its own apartments to create a site for a new 50 apartment Extra Care Housing scheme.
As part of the deal, NYCC would sell the site of a nearby Elderly Persons Home (EPH) to Yorkshire Housing for general needs family housing to replace demolished homes. As Head of Development at Yorkshire Housing, Joe Bvumburai came up with the above idea and offered practical solutions to get the scheme underway.
An unsuccessful Department of Health (DoH) Extra Care funding bid was followed by a successful Homes and Community Agency (HCA) bid to build the scheme.
Deansfield Court was the first Extra Care scheme to be built in the Ryedale District and has proved extremely successful with tenants, staff and visitors.
A specialist Extra Care interior designer was commissioned. The scheme has a homely feel to it and tenants are pleased with their homes.
The designer furniture looks modern and yet comfortable for older people. Installed Solar Thermal panels are an excellent environmental and sustainable feature providing hotwater to the scheme and reduces tenants’ bills
Role played by Joe Bvumburai
- Wrote document that led to Yorkshire Housing being selected as a partner with NYCC Extra Care Housing
- Led discussions between Ryedale District Council and North Yorkshire County Council Social Services.
- Involved in the continuous Market Engagement with the Homes and Community Agency
- Oversaw the detailed design process, decanting residents, and initial pre-site project management.
- Consultation with tenants and their relatives regarding decanting and demolition of their existing homes
- Consultation with NYCC and residents regarding the demolition of their EPH and the new Extra Care scheme.
- Initial HCA liaison on the demolition and re-development proposals
- Assisting NYCC with Department of Health Bid
- Manage the Project Managers who worked on the scheme
Owner: Yorkshire Housing
Care Provision: NYCC Social Services
Enablers: RDC & NYCC Social Services
Architects: Bowman Riley Architects
Employer’s Agents: F + G
Contractor: Termrim Construction
M & E Services: BES